View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I really believe there is a MASSIVE opportunity for someone creative to help out the unemplyed. Although I never supported Obama, this is the type of thing I thought his admin would come up with, so much for hip and new change!Look at the success of facebook, craigslist and ebay. There should be a website set up for the people on unemployment where they offer up their services. The govt should "bond" them so there is no risk if they are dishonest. This should be part of the unemplyment process. People, like me, can search in their local areas for services they need - running errands, light construction, going to the dump, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, painting, tutoring kids. The possibilities are endless! Customers can bid on the services or there can be a flat fee. Customers can comment on the services on the web, sort of like an ebay customer rating. My wife and I both work adn we can always use a hand. I'd be happy to pay someone $30 to spend a few hours running errands for me around town. There would have to be rules and controls but I know this would work. the unemployed would earn some $, feel more confident and establish networkign opportunites. this could lead to career changes and further opportunites. Instead of selling crap or telling everyone you just went to dinner, lets use social networking for positive change!
All of this assumes the unemployed want to get another job in leu of collecting a check. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely some people that want to get back to work and are trying to do so, but I bet there are a whole lot more that don't.

I know if I were unemployed for an extended period, I'd do whatever I can to launch a new business. Bootstrap it. Most businesses aren't going to make a penny in the first 3-6 months (more likely 6-12 months).

With regards to paying someone to run errands for you... those services already exist.
Errands Service/Landscape Service