Thread: HR 4269
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #108
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

My opinion is that majority are stolen and traded through black market. The registration of existing guns has a horrendous track record, which is slowly being addressed. But there are a great many guns in the hands/homes of an older generation that aren't offering them up for registration. Many, I believe, slip through the cracks in the subsequent "transfer" of weapons after an owner dies. I am handling one for a family now. Deceased was formerly a FFL. So far, I have taken possession (ie. removed from the house) 34 firearms. Police captain pulled up the record, and his PIN for me, in order to transfer. Only had three weapons registered..... Three. We still have two safes and the attic to explore as well....
Background checks? I am good with that. Mass seems to do a decent job with that. I think my Class A took just under three months to process. My twins are annoyed that I wont take them out shooting until they take the safety course with a certified instructor.... (My fault for taking them out once with a sporting shotgun and now saying we can't go shoot handguns.) And is the current safety course enough? Probably not. But these are the areas; background checks, registration, and training that need to be addressed. Not banning the weapons, and certainly not rewriting the Constitution.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.