Thread: Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #136
detbuch

Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
What is talked about in the following linked article has been going on for a long time. If we "actually care about people" why are we so silent about this? If we go back to the "several good books" you've referenced in the past, would they explain how we could "lean" on those perpetrating the slaughter? Are we playing this pretty well? Or is jerking Assad around and gesturing threats at Putin so much more important? After all, the Assad and Ukraine thing will eventually exit the stage, and the opportunity for some new play acting will present itself to us. If the lives of these slaughtered Christians is so unimportant, and none of our business . . . and I'm willing to concede that may be true . . . then why do we care about Ukraine? Or the EU, which should be able to grow up and take care of itself anyway: http://www.humanevents.com/2014/03/2...st-christians/

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Interesting article, though I think the author is just trying to project his opinion and spin everything around it to fit.

I'm not so interested in the author's "spin." I'm curious why, if as you say we "actually care about people" we seem so little caring about this slaughtering? Even when there were slaughterings in Ruanda between the Hutu and the Tutsi there was more concern and interventions. And there are slaughters going on throughout the world, but we are really geared up and huffing and puffing about the Ukraine, which didn't even involve slaughter. Why so concerned about them and the EU which SHOULD BE ABLE TO STAND UP TO PUTIN ON THEIR OWN, but we are not so concerned about the Christians, and yet we supposedly "actually care about people"?

I've seen plenty of reporting about the suffering of Christian minorities, especially in the past few years with the Arab Spring. I can't think of the last time I read anything on Palestinian suffering.

Well, we have certainly intervened, long and diligently, on the Palestinian suffering. But little to nothing on the Christian stuff. If we "actually care about people," how come?

The characterization of violence toward Israel as "radical Islam" fails to note something pretty important...that the conflict in Palestine didn't really start that way. His argument then over a false "grievance" totally ignores that Israel has brought a lot of their problem upon themselves.

Omigosh, I bring up the unconcern for Christian slaughter and you dive into an unrelated dispute between Israelis and Palestinians. That fight has gone on for centuries. The Christian thing is a new and wide spread phenomenon. WE HAVE AND ARE ATTEMPTING to deal with the Palestinian/Israeli conflict. Why not with the Christian slaughter. Why the Ukraine, not the Christian thing, if we "actually care about people"? How about imposing sanctions on nations which allow Christian slaughter? Maybe we can freeze the assets of their leaders? If we "actually care about people."

This isn't a product of a biased media, it's a product of history.

I wasn't merely referring to media, nor calling it biased. I was referring to the "we" who supposedly, as you put it ,"actually care about people." Which includes our government.

And I like that "product of history" stuff. Very progressive. It's an example of you exuding progressivism rather than expounding on it. Media is an actual active entity which can produce results through its intellectual coercion. How does "history" do that. Isn't history a recount and description of the past by actual humans, not an actual active entity in and of itself which produces.

I think there certainly is a grievance out there but much of it is toward Cold War institutions that led to little progress in Islamic nations.

Again, not answering the question--why do we care for Ukraine and not the Christians if we "actually care about people?"

Then again, I don't see the media reporting on this either...but hey, blame the media...I'm sure you could spin anything to make it stick.

-spence
I am not blaming anything or anybody. I am asking you a question. And you spin around it so the question does not stick.