Thread: O B A M A
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #24
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Spence, you're getting to the point of not even warranting a reply.
Yep, Obamas is right, them there city slickers should get out in the countree and see howz us simple folks live! I reckon 75 thousands dollars would be me one of them big ole screen teevees, I reckon. Good thing I got mee guns and mee religion to cling too, yes suh!
Wow, that brings up memories growing up in Iowa.

My father (who designed one of the first avionics computers before he became an aerospace executive) used to come home from work and count my teeth. If I didn't loose more than one that day I got to keep my rock candy from the pharmacy we'd visit once a month.

Even highly skilled white collar jobs in some states don't earn a lot of money. When I started out of college in 1994 I was doing 3D computer animation for very profitable litigation cases and earned $20,000 a year. Even today $75 grand with a low cost of living is a lot of money and more than most people in the Mid-west outside of cities earn. When you live in Manhatten there is so much money around you the notion of earning millions, or tens of millions seems commonplace.

In Iowa, it's like you're on another planet.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 03-24-2009 at 10:05 AM..