View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Detbuch - good probing questions as usual...

"Would you as a Christian hospital have the right to say no to a gay person who was admitted with a life threatening injury which needed immediate attention?"

No, the Catholic hospital would not have that right, nor is any Catholic hospital threatening to withold care from anyone on any such basis. Catholics, as a group, do not want to eradicate homosexuals from the planet. Catholics care just as much about homosexuals as we care about anyone else, we (and I don't include 'me' in that 'we', as I am a Catholic who supports gay marriage) just don't want to call the union a marriage. That's not nearly the same thing as a Catholic doctor refusing to treat a gay patient. The Catholic catechism demands that we love homosexuals as much as we love ourselves.

There is a difference between opposing a marriage between two homosexuals, and refusing to treat them as human beings. Any religion based on love, and in my opinion Catholicism certainly qualifies, woudl dictate that I have empathy and compassion for anyone. Loving a person and condoning/supporting their specific behaviors, is not the same thing.

"I don't know the specifics of his particular brand of Christianity, but it doesn't seem to me that this is a question of practicing religion."

I don't know the specs either. But it's easy for me to see how a Christian might not want to accept this business, because you are in a sense, supporting that which your religion says is immoral. And according to Catholic cathechism, if you support that which is immorl, you are acting in a way which could result in excommunication from the Church.

To your question on medical care...Catholic doctors should be (and are) required to provide lifesaving care to those in need. However, my belief is that the state cannot force that same Catholic doctor to prescribe abortificant drugs to a pregnant woman, nor should the state be able to force a Catholic business owner to provide his employes with birth control if his religious beliefs lead him to conclude that is immoral.

"But we have gone very far down the road as a society whose government and its judicial system does exactly that (selectively applied the Bill Of Rights".

Yes, this particular president has a real habit of doing that. It's repugnant.

"as in restricting the second amendment to own firearms to what they consider a "sensible" level, "

I actually wish we had more stringent gun control, but in my opinion, we would need to amend the constitution first, to allow for that. As the constitution is written today, I would not support radical gun control.

"How he was even able to arrive at such a reason for judgment is based on how the court system has been transformed from merely adjudicating the law to judging by agenda"

Correct, this was a perfect example of judicial activism, and I always hate that.