View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #69
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Which is why it is not unreasonable to suggest a moratorium on immigration. We have had moratoriums (long ones) in the past. We are going to great difficulty to create a fallible process of importing a huge number of refugees into our already over populated economy and social network and safety net, all at the expense and danger to the rest of us. We are going through hoops and pinholes to fight a world wide PR war, and are half-heartedly going about the destruction of the cause for that war.

If it requires a reset of who we are, an Obama transformation, and we cannot defeat the enemy with all-out war, then better to become disentangled with the whole mess and let the rest of the world sort itself out.
I think we allow close to 100,000 refugees per year, so 10,000 isn't exactly a surge. Recently I read the US ranks #14 in amount of refugees taken, so it'a not exactly like we're shouldering the brunt of the load.

The process isn't being created, it already exists and it's not easy. Say 18 months + and I don't believe under international law you get to choose what country you're sent to.

I'm not sure what a moratorium would accomplish beyond just subjecting more people to terrorism.