View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Let me clarify, I'm asking YOU, not PBS or the NY Times, how requiring an ID to vote is going to dis-proportionately affect Blacks over Whites

I know I'm just a blind-ass "Cracker"....so now's YOU'RE chance to enlighten me.
Here is the honest, thoughtful response...since you will never get it from a liberal on this issue.

The id requirement, obviously, is no more burdensome for one race than another. So it's not, in and of itself, even a teeny bit racist.

However, the more hoops you have to jump through to vote, the less likely that disenfranchised citizens will be, to vote.

A higher % of blacks are disenfranchised than whites.

Therefore, voter id requirements will likely have the effect of decreasing black votes more than they decrease white votes. I don't doubt that's the effect. But the underlying cause has absolutely nothing to do with race, and everything to do with culture and behavior. It's a free choice for blacks to make.

Are some GOP legislators counting on that, and that's why they support id laws, and hide their true intent by saying they are trying to eliminate voter fraud? I am sure that thought crossed the minds of some of the Republicans who support these laws. But the fact is, and it's probably irrefutable (since none of you bothered to refute it) that it's not racist.

There was a famous case a few years ago of firefighters in New Haven taking a test for promotion. It was a test certified to be racially neutral, whatever the hell that means. A bunch of white guys got the highest scores, and earned the promotion. The city then nullified the test, saying that because not enough blacks got high scores, it therefore had to be racist. It went to the Supreme Court, who ruled that there was no racism, that the white guys won fair and square. Just because all the top scorers were white, doesn't mean it's racist.

Is the NBA racist? Or the US Track and Field team, I didn't see a lot of white guys in the 100 meter sprint in the Olymoics. Is that, therefore, racist?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-14-2016 at 03:47 PM..