View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #100
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Or you could say they (Democrats) were giving the President the benefit of doubt in a time of national crisis.

-spence
Spence, this, right here, is a pivotal moment for you.

In the above statement, you are saying that prominent Democrats didn't genuinely believe that Saddam had WMDs. but rather, they were just giving Bush the benefit of the doubt (as if they did that all the time, but we'll save that for another day).

Here is what those prominent Democrats actually said. you tell me if what they are saying is that they are just giving Bush the benefit of the doubt, of if they really believe what they are saying...

snopes.com: Weapons of Mass Destruction Quotes

"We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's WMD program" - Bill Clinton, 1998

"respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end it's WMD program" - Senator John Kerry, 1998 (before Bush was president)

"Saddam has been engaged in the development of WMDs..." - Nancy Pelosi, 1998 (before Bush was Presisdent)

"there is no doubt that Saddam has reinvigorated his weapons programs" - Sen Bob Graham, D-FL, 2001

"Saddam...is building WMDs and the means of delivering them..." - Sen Carl Levin, D-MI, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons..." - Al Gore, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam is seeking and developing WMDs" - Ted Kennedy, 2002

"we are confident that Saddam retains some stockpiles of chemical and bioogical weapons..." - Sen Robert Byrd, 2002

"there is unmistakable evidence that Saddam is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons..." Sen Jay Rockefeller, D-WV, 2002

"it is clear that if left unchecked, Saddam will continue to increase his capacity of biological and chemical weapons" - Hilary Clinton, 2002

and finally...

"we are in posession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam has a developing capacity for the production of WMDs...the threat of Saddam Hussein with WMDs is real" - John Kerry, 2003

OK Spence, you tell me. Does it sound to you like these prominent Democrats were merely giving Bush the benefit of the doubt (unusual, since some of those quotes are from before Bush was elected). Or, does it sound to you, like it sounds to everyone else here, that these folks are personally convinced that there was a threat?

Your response will be a defining moment for you. I'm rooting for you to put down the Kool Aid, and simply admit that these Democrats believed at the time, that Saddam had (or was pursuing) WMDs.