View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #109
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
To some the glass is half empty.
Others act as the sky is falling.
Things look fine from my toilet. Retirement is looking better all the time. Kids have jobs with a great future. It has not been easy admittedly but this is a great time in America. Enjoy it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I think the deck is stacked in favor of the powerful and connected to some extent. If I wanted to go to Harvard and be an executive VP at Goldman Sachs and have a summer home in Watch Hill, sure it helps if my family has connections, which we don't. But if I want to be upper middle class and still be home for dinner most nights and take my kids to Disney every few years, there are plenty of ways to do that. I think it's a little harder than it should be, but still within reach of most of us. You have to work hard, and it really helps to have good parents to set kids on the right path.

I've said this before, there is a family that owns the local Shell station and convenience store near my house, they came here from Liberia, literally with nothing. They now own that business, their kids are college graduates, one is in medical school. every town in the country has families with the same exact story, and many are refugees because they don't take anything for granted and are willing to work insanely hard to get what they want. If big business runs everything, how did they pull that off? The answer is love and hard work, but our grievance and entitled culture doesn't want to hear about such things.