Thread: Anchor Talk
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
since I've lost a few anchors already ......including an expensive fortress anchor...first time it was the shackle pin, second one was just stuck hard on the bottom.
There was a story a few years back.....NFL player out on his boat....upset about his anchor being stuck again after he had bought a new one. Pulled too hard with the boat and capsized with tragic results.

Did your pin back out Bob? That's what happened with me,... although odd why that would happen with the amount of pressure being applied when you tighten it down. On my grappler, I mushroomed the thread end on the new shackle, we'll see how that goes.
For the danforth (at the opposite end of my rope), I threaded both ends of a SS rod and am using SS nylon-locknuts on both ends. Guessing that should work too, but not sure why that wouldn't have been a standard accessory on the shackle pin, (a lock-nut on the thread end)? Unless that has a history of failing as well?

About the NFL story....I had similar concerns. With such low sides on my boat, I was afraid of the water rushing in from the rear if things didn't go as planned, (if using the rear cleat). So I powered in reverse tie-ing to the front cleat...but then I wondered if my cleat was going to get torn off, or worse...rip my bow open! LOL...I didn't dare drive forward with fear of the prop getting strangled by the rope, not knowing if the rope would break or where...Amazing the amount of things that enter your mind when you're in despair. Always an adventure when out on the water... makes me miss the surf that much more.

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote