View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
Brake line blew out on base the other night. Cut/spliced jerry rigged the darn thing to get home. Did not have any brake fluid..... a buddy says uses ATF, they are both hydraulic fluids....

It worked. Got home OK, replaced the brake line the next day, bled all the air out and refilled with DOT3. It worked for a few days, until yesterday, the brakes felt a bit odd, firm pedal one stop then all the way to the floor the next stop. I thought maybe air somewhere, so I bled all 4 and still same issue. Then I looked it up online.... my truck is toast now... ATF is petroleum based and DOT3 is not. ATF causes all of the seals to expand and then collapse, eventually causing total failure or in some cases the expanded seals block off one of the valves in the master cylinder causing the brakes to seize up.

I looked it up, for parts alone is close to $1,000. Master cylinder, all 4 brake calipers, brake power booster and the ABS control system as well, and maybe all of the lines. It's pretty much impossible to clean that crap out....

Maybe your "buddy" can help pay for imparting his useless knowledge?

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote