Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
ya a lot of names missing

and I can't argue with the top 3 but
Van Halen number 4?
you can swap that right out with Duane Allman and move him up from where they ranked him at 20 Duane was killed way too young but I rank him as 4th not Eddie, sorry Eddie
I hate these lists and wont watch it, but to respond to your comments. EVH changed the way rock guitar will be played forever. On Van Halen's first 4 albums, Eddie played something or introduced a new technique no one ever played, on almost every other song. Things that you cant even say "he stole from so and so".
Many of the greats have stong influences you can hear. I love Clapton and SRV but you hear Albert King, Buddy Guy, Otis Rush in their playing, who do you hear in Eddie Van Halen's playing? The guy was a monster and one of the most creative players on the guitar, second only to Les Paul.

And in IMHO, Angus Young is an amazing rock guitar player and deserves to be high up there.

As I understand from your posts, this is about INFLUENCE. Walk into a Guitar Center and 90% of the guitars will be- Strats (thank Hendrix, Clapton, SRV and Beck), Gibson SGs (thank Angus), Les Pauls (thank Page and Randy Rhodes) and you'll numerous strat styles with humb#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g pickups (thank Eddie Van Halen). Turn on the radio today and 90% of the hard rock guitar playing refects these guys above. Listen to have the pop dance and modern country and you'll hear more EVH than you can imagine.
There are tons of fantastic players, but very few truly influential.

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 11-30-2010 at 09:40 AM..

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote