View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

tile it.

i had a very similiar situation in my basement. it was 1/2 finished, 1/2 crawl space. rugs, water issue in spring and after storms, grading issue outside, living on the bottom of a hill in the development. after some outside regrading and redirecting gutters i took care of the water issue.

then just tiled the basement. i had one of ross' subs do the work. plan on using him again for my bathroom..... if i ever get some extra cash.

i would say tile it. i just re-fi'd as well and the inspector said the tiled basement definately added considerable value to the home. not sure if he was just blowing smoke up my butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Curious what people think would be a good option for the floor of our basement. Right now it is carpet which must go. Plan is to remodel both rooms.

The carpet is on an unfinished slab without a crawl space underneath. Our house it cut into a hill, there's a 30" knee wall around the perimeter with a cut out for a full size door.

Water is an issue. Both humidity that comes up through the slab as well as the potential for water to come in at grade or from the dirt cellar (higher grade) under extreme conditions. I've mitigated the most pressing water problems, but there's still always a risk.

Floor to ceiling is only 81" so there's not a lot of headroom either. This could complicate installing a floating sub-floor which I believe would be required to put down wood.

I'm wondering if I don't just RedGuard the whole thing and throw down tile.

Thoughts?

-spence
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote