Thread: Sad-
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #29
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
John,
Unfortunatly, NCLB and other standardized test crap removes a lot of emphasis on the ability to think, and puts it on rote memorization.

By the time they get to the college level, they can't think and don't know %$%$%$%$ unless it was stuff they had to memorize.. The up side is it is sink or swim, we can try make them want to learn, but if they don't want to it is there (parents) dime...

Don't know the answer, thats why I don't work with people, just sediment
I partially agree. One problem with NCLB is that it is an after the fact bandaid to get the lower kids caught up somewhat. A good teacher can both push testing and thinking and pull some of these kids forward. Unfortunately it is damage control when kids in 6th grade are reading at three grades behind. If these kids were getting help from home in the same way they are getting help in class (think the extra reading teachers and systems not in place when we were kids) there would be far less kids in 6th grade reading at a third grade level.

Don't know the answers either but I did get to observe the classroom for three years. Just enough time to form opinions loosely based in fact and probably still completely wrong. Maybe why I work with 1s and 0s

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: