View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

I waited a while before weighing in on this because I didn't want to knee-jerk react to the deal. Let's put this in perspective. Cassel was basically "found money." A career backup in whom the Patriots had little financial investment initially. Then Brady goes down, Cassel takes the Pats to 11-5 and the ONLY way to get value out of Cassel (a free agent) was to franchise him at $14.7 million for one year and then he's an FA again. So I like the trade, it's 34th overall (can get good value there).

However, even now I think it's too quick to judge. By including Vrabel, the Pats just cleared $17+ million in cap room and they're going to spend it. So if the deal means they resign Wilfork, Seymour, etc. and can grab a significant free agent (Julius Peppers?), Patriots nation will once again be issuing currency with the motto "In Bill We Trust."

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote