View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #14
Linesider82

I'll second the Loki glide bait in 2.7 and 3.0oz (as an alternative to a darter), I haven't used the 247 model that Toby mentioned.

The Loki in both weights has a very slow sink rate, nearly neutral buoyancy, at least the ones I own. I haven't bought one in 3 years, I'll add that the paint and finish have held up well, some yellowing, and hook rash in front of the belly treble. As an aside, I like that the tied flag is separate from the tail hook tied on thin wire.

It is almost always in my bag because of its versatility, it can be fished in shallow water conditions, or to answer Eric's question it is very good in open beach/ bar situations fished slow like George describes the darter with starts and stops.

On stopping the plug it will carry forward in a J shape, an extended glide in a forward motion followed by a fall as the plug slows with the plug remaining horizontal, a twitch will send the plug in a sharp change of direction.

A slow-steady retrieve produces a wide "S" shaped swim, but add a stop to that and it'll continue in that direction, glide and fall. The faster the plug is worked the tighter the S. It works dead sticked too, much like I'd fish a needle.

I tried a 4/0 treble and 6/0 siwash on the tail this year on the 2.7 but IMO it changes the plug too much, and not for the better. 3/0 6x front and 5/0 siwash on the tail works well.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote