Thread: Gun Legislation
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #220
ReelinRod

LOL. Figured I'd poke my head in here and see how the gun debate is going . . . I read the thread and nothing has changed in the months since I was last here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
https://www.brennancenter.org//analy...waAiLIEALw_wcB

not sure why 2a supporters think people against assault weapons think we Don't know how to read or do research or see the topic in historical terms...
Well, when you link to commentary like that for support of your position, we know you would rather read BS instead of original sources.

There is but one constitutionally, legally and historically correct statement in that article; it is found in the first sentence:

"The Founders never intended to create an unregulated individual right to a gun."

The FRAMERS knew they were not creating anything with the words of the 2nd Amendment. The right to arms is a pre-existing right, not created, given, granted or otherwise established by the 2nd Amendment.

"We the People" don't have the right to arms because the 2nd Amendment is there; "We the People" possess the right because We never surrendered any aspect of the right, never conferred any power to government to have any interest in the personal arms of the private citizen.

IOW, We don't posses the right because of what the 2ndA says, we posses the right because of what the body of the Constitution doesn't say.

That you fail to comprehend this foundational tenet means you will never compose a single thought about guns and gun rights that conforms with the Constitution.

You will continue to say stuff like this, not realizing you are totally wrong in your thinking . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
funny ...
There is not a single word about an individual’s right to a gun for self-defense or recreation in Madison’s notes from the Constitutional Convention. Nor was it mentioned,

or One addressed the “well regulated militia” and the right “to keep and bear arms.” We don’t really know what he meant by it. At the time, Americans expected to be able to own guns, a legacy of English common law and rights. But the overwhelming use of the phrase “bear arms” in those days referred to military activities.

so please show me how the Words support what the gun lobby is suggesting . 2a means
What a purposefully wrong approach you take.

Please show me the words in the body of the Constitution that grants to Congress the power to ban any guns . . . Read the body of the Constitution to discern what the government can do, not the 2nd Amendment to try to discrn what the citizen is -allowed- to do.

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.