View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
falkners

Kayaks typically have a much lower center of gravity and have less windage than a canoe and are less apt to be pushed around by the wind. However, sitting lower and closer to the water presents other challenges when flycasting. You need to modify your casting style somewhat to keep your backcasts up higher. I built myself a 10 1/2 footer that works well. Better yet is to overline your rod 2-3 line sizes to minimize falsecasting. The less falsecasting the better. As far as tandems go, I have never fished/paddle one myself but maneauvering a single is hard enough at times. It takes a certain knack to control the drift of your boat and line especially when wind and current are involved. A small one handed paddle is sometimes useful to make small corrections so you don't have to put your rod down to grab a paddle. I have a racketball paddle that I sometimes use (when I remember to bring it along) that works well. I think a peddle powered boat might work well but would be better if it had a reverse in it since sometimes backing up is required. Also, a drift sock can be very useful in windy conditions. One other thing... trolling can be very effective. Try a fly on a circle hook. The fish will hook themselves which is sometimes a problem with a "J" hook tied fly because by the time you put the paddle down and grab the rod the fish is usually gone.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote