View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #78
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
my argument is over. If you think the "Pennsylvania Dutch" came for freedom of religion and this country is 400 yrs old, I give up.
I bet the Pennsylvania Dutch were stoked when they named the state after them........
I am pennsylvania dutch. It includes Moravians, mennonites, amish, brethern, lutherans (among lots of others). Most have connections to the reformed church. I know that my relatives came in 1702. It was certainly partially because of the farmland, but the divide between the anabaptists also gave them incentive to come here and set up communities where they were free to worship as they wished. My point wasn't that they only came here for religion or only came here for wealth. You made the statement that they all came here because of money. Harvard university turned 375 years old this year. Based on a literal measurement it was not part of this country, but I included the early years as part of how long this place we live has been great. Use it to discredit me if you want, but it would be better if you could discredit my facts about corporate tax rates and the like. So you are right, not all people came here for freedom. The constitution wasn't ratified 400 years ago. But I am also right there was alot of important history that shaped this country before ratifying the constitution and as a matter of fact, Virginia co. didn't come here for tobacco and furs as you stated. Corporations typically don't pay 35% (or the old rate, 39%, which you stated) so I guess I shouldn't bother discussing this with you either since your facts aren't so great.

Last edited by zimmy; 03-11-2011 at 09:59 AM..

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.