Thread: Beer can teaser
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Mr. Sandman

I made up a version of a beer-can teaser before my last trip. There are several "flavors" out there. Some are teasers set up in a daisy chain others are used like a bird in front of a lure.

I made the latter one evening prior to a canyon trip. I was in the store and used a tall Heineken can. The hot beer-can now is the Japanese Soporro can because of its shiny and sexy curves. I chose the Heinenken because it has a cupped base. The Soporro can had a flat base.

I rigged it with a cable and crimped some washers in place to hold in place. The can had 4 or so egg sinkers inserted thru the hole to act as a righting ballast. I also staggered the cable in the front and the rear so when towed it had a bow up trim angle. I filled it with foam for lure making which gets much harder than the insulating foam in a can.

It was just a test can so it was not pretty. I rigged it with a green machine about 6' behind the can.

Observations:

1) It kicked up a heck of a spray. Kind of like a poor mans bird used for a greenstick.

2) If I let it way back it would submerge for a spell. I needed to use a big bird in front of it to keep it in position. If I kept it in close it was fine.

3) I did not catch anything with it but I just didn't like the idea of trolling trash. I have piles of $100 lures and teasers and what the heck am I doing dragging this trash around?

I think it has potential as a real teaser...I will probably wait for Carlson or the Chinese to make a production version and just buy one. It was interesting for an hour or so though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (126.0 KB, 23 views)
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote