View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
You are missing a lot of fish if you don't fish tight to shore as part of your routine. The trough right at your feet on the beach is a striper feeding zone/highway. I am sure I am not the only person who has caught 20+ pound fish before taking my rod from under my arm after hooking and dropping a live herring in at the run. You probably won't see them again because it really isn't the best situation/spot for live eels. Personally I never get angry at the guy there first, and that's what's great about the canal, if you can't fish the spot you wanted there are plenty of other spots to fish and sometimes you find a new hot spot.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
That is spot-on.
Fishing the herring run is different than fishing the shore east of Pip's.
At the herring run area, the shore is rocky, and you need to know what you are doing.
East of pip's it's all sandy shore. That is where many waders choose to fish their lures. Drifting eels or any live bait there will be largely unproductive because the current will ALWAYS drag your bait to the shore where it is really shallow.

Now keep in mind that I walked past these guys and was casting slightly down current, and in waste deep water I was snagging their lines on my back cast.

If this is the accepted protocol for fishing the canal I guess I should get there extra early and start casting down current from where I stand and should naturally expect no one will fish the 75-100 feet of shore down current from "my spot" until I leave, and that no one but me can fish there??

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote