View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #75
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Here is part of what Warren Buffett said in a Time magazine article.
You think that saying Wealth inequality is an issue, makes it a personal moral choice. It's a societal moral choice which is obviously far too progressive for you, unlike Warren Buffett.
You think that with the US being in the top ten in GDP per capita, we cannot afford healthcare, education and infrastructure.
Now don't let the voices in your head misconstrue what I am saying as that I think uncontrolled spending will accomplish anything. We need a government that works for all the people, we don't have that.
We are getting left behind by the rest of the world inch by inch.

Let’s think again about 1930. Imagine someone then predicting that real per capita GDP would increase sixfold during my lifetime. My parents would have immediately dismissed such a gain as impossible. If somehow, though, they could have imagined it actually transpiring, they would concurrently have predicted something close to universal prosperity.

Instead, another invention of the ensuing decades, the Forbes 400, paints a far different picture. Between the first computation in 1982 and today, the wealth of the 400 increased 29-fold–from $93 billion to $2.7 trillion–while many millions of hardworking citizens remained stuck on an economic treadmill. During this period, the tsunami of wealth didn’t trickle down. It surged upward.

In 1776, America set off to unleash human potential by combining market economics, the rule of law and equality of opportunity. This foundation was an act of genius that in only 241 years converted our original villages and prairies into $96 trillion of wealth.

The market system, however, has also left many people hopelessly behind, particularly as it has become ever more specialized. These devastating side effects can be ameliorated: a rich family takes care of all its children, not just those with talents valued by the marketplace.

In the years of growth that certainly lie ahead, I have no doubt that America can both deliver riches to many and a decent life to all. We must not settle for less.

You can read the whole thing here:
http://time.com/5087360/warren-buffe...th-in-america/
Is Warren Buffet's wealth accumulation, hurting anybody? If so, how?

One time, just one time, can you answer the question that I asked?