View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #39
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
We agree 100%. I don't see why you need a union for a bunch of public service employees who have a monopoly.
They need a union, because all the underachievers who attend town meetings wouldn't pay them beans if they didn't band together and negotiate en mass. And you well know as an actuary that these union members pay half of the contribution to the retirement fund, right. So its not as if the municipality pays the whole GD thing is it.

These employees (teachers not withstanding, because I dont know a thing about their contracts) were given these perks back in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, when the pay was so low, and as you know as an actuary it didn't cost much, or at least the cost was negligable, to give out more perks during negotiations, like vacation, sick time, blah blah blah.

If you want monkeys working for you, then pay them peanuts. You'll get what you deserve soon enough in the form of civil rights law suits, caused by brutal thugs who take the low paying jobs, because educated people will go elsewhere. These cops, fitefighters, teachers, all hire contractors to work on their houses, local garges to repair thier vehicles, plumbers, electricians, and so on. Cut thier pay and everyone else will suffer right down the line. Its all relative.

Oh, I forgot one thing, we all pay taxes as well and I dont like what they are and complain when I see waste in all its forms. It doesn't sound to me as if the private sector worked out as well as you would have liked.

One more thing, just a short story, several years ago two of the guys I was working iwth on the 12-8 shiftb, (when by all rights they should have been sleeping or eating a donut) were driving along and spotted a house on fire. Without hesitating they rushed into the house, got the four people out. Called the Fire Dept. and the fire department was able to save the house. Guy never said thanks, not once. Two weeks after that fire almost claimed the father's life(homeowner), his wife and two childrens lives, one of those heroic officers wrote the guy wo had the fire a parking ticket. Guy wrote a two page letter of complaint aout why he didn't deserve a ticket. He didn't get the ticket taken care of and he did know in the end it was the same officer who saved his life. I'm done ranting.

Last edited by Swimmer; 01-13-2011 at 04:34 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman