View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
1) This is not the NHL. its HS hockey.

My son plays HS hockey in MA and I have attended nearly every game for several years. It can get chippy. He is more of the 5'9/145 size .

Legal issues aside, IMO that was a high hit and he went for his head. no question. Size has nothing to do with it. You can not hit the head and you can not hit from behind, period. Every high hit I have seen like that (and I have seen several this season alone at the HS level where kids were not even hurt) has been delt with game misconduct, major penalty, and the kid normally misses between 2 and 5 games. Further, if the TEAM gets more than 3 of those during the season, they are done, even if they are in the playoffs. (I have read the MIAA rulebook and spoken to refs about why they made the call they did)

This was yet another ref problem in MA which has some of the most inconsistent refs I have ever seen.

My son was recently playing in Canada against Canadian teams and the refs are completely different...They never let it escalate to get to this. Looking at clips like this do not show the problem....I would bet my last dollar that there were other factors prior in the game that led up to this and if they refs would have shut down that behavior, this probably would not have happened.

As far as it being "clean".... come on, he almost took his head off. No way that was clean. A clean hit is a shoulder to chest hit...that was no clean hit. The hitter came at him with his arms which were WAY too high.

Yes you do expect to make contact when you play sports like this but not be decapitated, this is HS sports, these are kids. I don't care if the kid is nice, and didn't mean to do it. He hit him high. There is a penalty for that. It should have been called.

If you look at these two stills...

1) the kid is lining him up for a hit after the puck is gone and the goalie has it

2) the second show the hitters arms and hands

bad hit.

Further if you watch the ref who saw the hit, right after the hit, he raised his arm indicating a penalty
Would you press charges against the kid if he hit your kid like that?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote