View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #62
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Scott.
If someone walks up to you and said you've been randomly selected to win a million dollars based on having the exact number of posts on S-B, you'd say no? is this how Obama was selected for the Nobel prize? it was a lottery? or he was randomly selected? he had the right number of "present" votes?...that would make the prize pretty meaningless under your scenario...would it not? I mean more meaningless than they've already denigrated it to be

You are in the minority my friend. I suppose

The point I was making is that you claimed a big chunk of the 5.5 he reported as income was Nobel prize money my point was that they didn't do a whole lot of actual earning like the folks that they attack on a daily basis, if the prize was a wash then I was correct that they donated 5.8% of their "income" to charity...you can give them credit for giving the prize to charity...I say it would have been reprehensible to have kept any of it and he should have refused it in the first place simply on principle so he doesn't get credit, at least from me for donating ill gotten gains, I guess you can say he did the right thing or more correctly, the most obvious thing , I was pointing out it wasn't included, so technically, the Obama's donated 300+K + the 1million + of the Nobel money.technically

In full disclosure, I gave well less as a % than both the Pres and VP.and that is entirely your choosing, I would never question what amount you or someone else gave unless they were in the habit of preaching and then shown to be falling far short of what they were preaching....Obama campaigned through all of 2009...not only did he have no expenses because everything he and his wife did were on the campaign tab, and reports were that they were living quite lavishly while simultaneously lecturing about sacrafice...his earnings required little or no effort, if there were ever and opportunity given all of the rhetoric to put his money where his mouth was...this would have been a good time
If you donated more than 10% of your after tax income, (339,000/(5.5Mil - 1.7Mil = ~9%)talk about number fudging, I'm still not crediting the prize and you keep making it larger then you can stand on your soap box on this issue. so, don't criticize the "one" unless the mailman accidentally drops off a pile of money at your house that should have gone to someone else that you then donate to charity and take credit for?... I would wager that for everyone who has 5.5mil of 'easy' money and donated 10% after taxes to charity, there are at least 2 that don't. Did you give more than that? I didn't. Did you give more than 1.8% after taxes to charity? I didn't. yes, I did I put what little extra money we had into my mortgage, college fund for jr. and construction on my second floor.

I guess I'm a hypocrite too then.
you completely miss the point ...if you pontificate constantly about "sacrafice" and "having skin in the game" and "paying taxes being patriotic" and deamonize others, earners...the evil rich, capitalism... for all sorts of reasons that really boil down to ideaology....then yes...you are a fing hypocrit if your tax return shows a paultry effort vs. a large and largely unearned income...when you are the "leader of the free world" ...you are hardly leading by example ....if you recall, during the primaries, Biden and Obama's previous returns showed the same for previous years....despite having the biggest mouth in Washington...Biden has the tightest wallet...and OBama barely gave squat till he hit it big with his book deals and then he gave the most to the Church of Hate that he attended.....funny that when you simply point out facts about this regime..you are considered blinded by hate....I don't hate..... I can't stand arrogance and hypocricy from these guys with so much power

hey Rock...you equated liberalism with giving recently...pretend O didn't with the Nobel..it's not hard to do...would 1.44% and 5.8% in "giving" from the super lib vice pres and pres be acceptable?

wait..maybe they are improving???

Delaware Senator Joe Biden, the Democratic nominee for vice president, and his wife reported giving a fraction of 1 percent of their income to charity during the past decade, below the national average, tax records show.
Over the past decade they reported giving an average of $369 to charity.

The Bidens' giving represents a smaller portion of their income than the $353 then-Vice President Al Gore was criticized for donating on an income of $197,729 in 1997.

The Bidens' deductions for charity ranged from a low of $120 in 1999 to $995 last year. Most were in the range of $260-$380 per year, their tax returns show.

The Obamas gave less than 1 percent of the $1.2 million they earned from 2000 to 2004 to charities, their returns showed. They increased their giving to more than 5 percent when their income rose in 2005 and 2006 after the Illinois senator published a best-selling book.

Bill Clinton, the former president, earned $109 million from 2000 through 2007. They donated about $10.3 million of that to their own charitable foundation.

McCain released his own tax returns on April 18, which showed he reported $405,409 of income and gave $105,467 to charity, about 26 percent.

Last edited by scottw; 04-19-2010 at 09:08 AM..