View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I agree with most, irresponsible to be out in that to begin with, but then you post the tog bite was great; I swear common sense is in short supply lately.

I remember heading out of Westport a few years back in decent conditions and with a marine report I thought I could rely on. We left a good tog bite off Cutty around noon, as it was really picking up and I saw no sense in chancing the inlet on a hard outgoing tide and a good 20 blowing (love NOAA forecasts) straight into it. As I neared Gooseberry I knew the inlet was going to be a mess on seeing the breakers on the Hens and Chickens Ledge and on getting close it was time to put on a boat driving clinic for my passenger. In my 19 foot McKee Craft, you don't go into that inlet like a 27 footer might, not in standing 6 footers. It was full throttle 90 degrees across the standing waves, pick a swell to turn 180 on then and full throttle back across, trying to stay in between the waves avoiding breakers and make my turns fast on top, until I could make a beeline to the flat water off the beach.

Had the tide been incoming, that inlet is a snap in a hard SW, but put the hard outgoing against it and lookout. I grew up in Scituate and fished the north river a lot and I'd never ever go near that inlet in similar conditions.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote