View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #59
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
A true/false test for Trumplicans

I can't answer for who you call "Trumplicans," but I'll take the test--in spite of it being a slanted selection skewed into your preferred direction, and there are a lot of other questions you're not asking that would lead in another direction.

Trump asked Zelensky to fight corruption

True.

Rudy Giuliani was acting as Trump's lawyer

True.

Abuse of power could be impeachable according to Bill Barr

I'll take your word that he said that. His qualifier "could" implies that abuse of power could also not be impeachable. I assume he meant, therefore, that abuse of power is not, in itself, impeachable. That an actual, specific, action that some might label abuse is what determines impeachability.

Mick Mulvaney said there was a quid pro quo

True and false. He made a GENERAL RESPONSE that there is always that sort of give and take in foreign policy but didn't use the phrase "quid pro quo". But he later SPECIFIED that “there was absolutely no quid pro quo between Ukrainian military aid and any investigation into the 2016 election."

He also said " it is legitimate for the president to want to know what’s going on with the ongoing investigation into the server … it is completely legitimate to ask about that . . . it’s legitimate to tie the aid to corruption, it’s legitimate to tie the aid to foreign aid from other countries. That’s what I was talking about . . . Can I see how people took that the wrong way? Absolutely. But I never said there was a quid pro quo, because there isn’t.”

There are relevant emails the White House won't turn over
I don't know if the emails are relevant. I don't know what's in them. At this point, they are protected by executive privilege. And there are very sound and basic reasons for that right of secrecy.

Let me give you a true/false test:

President Zelensky said he was not pressured. That he didn't know of any quid pro quo required in order to get the money.

The money was delivered.

Zelensky didn't have to do a quid pro quo to get the money.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-24-2020 at 12:16 PM..