View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #68
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Boy you guys really need to book a ring at the local gym and have at it, getting a bit too personal in the attacks, as opposed to discussing what we personally feel is a good approach. Then we have to be honest, because nothing said or discussed here will make it's way to the white house, not unless there are changes in the way the people on capitol hill vote on gun regulations. That hasn't changed much in a very long time, although the youth coming out speaking and marching, regardless of whether you think they should be in school learning something instead, are probably making a few politicians sit up and take notice. Those same teens are going to be of voting age in the very near future and it will be interesting to see if that changes the way we as a society vote on these types of issues or on who we elect to vote for changes.

Education is underfunded to begin with, so putting money at hardening schools if it detracts from other necessary school funding, isn't money well spent. We still are talking about that one teen or that one adult who is likely known by someone to be not quite right and has access to weapons, yet they slide right under the radar until they snap. If they want into a school, there a dozens of ways in besides the front door, just pick a window. Put some money into trying hard to cure the stupid arse parents that allow these fragile teens to have access to their guns, although it's very hard to cure stupid.

I'm not suggesting guns are the problem, it's a social problem that is generating these violent attacks and the media sensationalizing each and every one IMHO only provides a push to yet another troubled teen from going out in a blaze of TV glory to make the bullies pay. I know many will cringe at my stating I see no reason for the general public to be owning assault rifles or the ability to turn them from semi to fully automatic weapons and that as we know has been beaten to the point that dead horse isn't even recognizable as a horse any longer. But that's my right as it is yours to oppose it.

I don't agree that 21 is the right age, if you can serve our country and pick up a weapon to defend our rights, you have the right to buy a gun. If you have been dishonorably discharges and have mental issues, then I think you have just blown your right to own a weapon.

I'd rather see the money people want to throw at hardening schools put into mental health programs, something to help that troubled teen cope, or campaigns to shut down the school bullying; putting metal detectors and arm guards isn't going to stop everyone of these attacks.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 03-19-2018 at 09:35 AM..