View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Pete_G

A lot of the rear projection sets (both DLP and LCD) from a few years ago have really turned into troublemakers. Class action lawsuits are in effect for many models of Sony, LG, Toshiba, Samsung, and more as they continue to fail. Most of the companies are as best they can dodging responsibility and washing their hands of them. Might be worth seeing if yours is one of those models in case there's an extended warranty or class action lawsuit that applies. Personally I have passionate hatred of Sony now, my RP-TV has discoloration on parts of the screen on a 4 year old TV and they couldn't care less. It was NOT cheap and I loved the picture and wouldn't even think of replacing it except repairs are so ridiculously expensive.

LED's are nothing more then an LCD TV, it's just the back lighting is different (and can be locally dimmed resulting in better black levels). LED lights are rugged by nature as well. Could make for a TV with long term durability with great picture quality. Being that I'm scarred by my expensive Sony tragedy, I'm interested...

My neighbor has one and I have to say it looks really good, even sitting at off angle which is something CNET really felt was a weakness. Great colors, blacks, whites, everything looked natural (the way I like it) once the settings were played with. I really couldn't find a fault with it. I'm in love...

I think I'm going with plasma though for picture quality and price or holding out for LED's to drop more. If I had the cash though, there's no question I'd be going for one of the Samsung LED-LCD's.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote