View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

squeal is probably dull drill, too high RPM's, or not removing chips often enough. I like to use about 1400 rpm's for soft wood and a little lower for hard woods.

Ross when you are holding the plug in your left hand, and pushing the tail stock with your right, you can let go just a little bit, still keeping hand around and riding on the spinning plug, so that you can tell you are drilling it true, straight. I do this several times just for a few seconds to see how I am doing. A constant grab and release of the plug as I drill. I am not saying let go and walk away just a light touch on the plug so it can spin. On lipped plugs, or below or above center lined front line ties I drill only from the rear to the front belly hook hole. I do all my line tie drilling on the front of the plug with a hand drill to meet up in the front belly hook hole. Center lined thru drilled plugs I do from both sides on the lathe and meet in center, hopefully. Every once in awhile I have a miss drill but I salvage it somehow. Real soft woods give me the most grief, hardwoods second. AYC I very rarely have a problem as it is IMO the best wood for machining, a pleasure to work with.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote