View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #50
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
the next time someone dies in a car accident lets petition the govt to get rid of cars.
Sounds ridiculous doesn't it ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Those 2 statements weren't together in your post.

comparing guns and cars is frequently brought up by gun rights advocates but actually undermines their argument. In my view, we need to treat guns more like cars and if that were done, I think there would be less talking about banning guns.

We require training, licensing and registering of cars (&drivers licenses), seatbelts, airbags, collision avoidance devices, insurance, etc. and as a result deaths by car has decreased tremendously and continues to go down. We have both public and private groups who study ways to make cars safer. Things that congress use to do such as name the gun stores who sold the most guns used in crimes are now prohibited from being done ( by congress. The stores actually changed their sales practices and their sales weren't linked to as much crime). Research dealing with guns has been blocked by the gun lobby.

The majority of gun owners are agreeable to back ground checks, tighter regulations of gun dealers, requirements that guns be stored safely in homes and a 10 year prohibition of owning guns if convicted of violence.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device