View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 07:02 AM   #12
BIGMAX

While I have experienced this situation in the fog, I thought a series of horn blasts was the correct protocol while being underway in a fog. This is helpful to all boaters to be aware of each others presence to some degree when you cant see them. When I was out in the fog, I had a VHF radio, GPS (which funtioned well in the fog), and a loud horn to hail to others. It was a circus out there, as three boats didn't even have a compass or functioning radio, and not enough seamanship skills to to figure the shore's location by the flow of the tide. My horn saved me when boaters got close, and I even helped two crews to find thier way. They are proposing (but they have tried to before) to make it a requirement for all boaters to pass a seamanship/safety skills test in order to operate a craft on the water. I think we all could benefit from this, especially the little guys like us. I don't ask for any special treatment while on the water due to my size, but the standard courtesy and safety rules being observed correctly would greatly be appreciated. I am sure everybody on the water has had an experience where they can appreciate this. I just would like to see everybody return home safely to thier friends and families. Sometimes my safety gear overwhelmes me, but I wouldn't be on the water without it.

Tightlines
BIGMAX
BIGMAX is offline   Reply With Quote