View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I know what Larry is talking about and have seen contractors endorse the idea.Instead of starting the bottom of the water shield wher the fascia and roof sheathing meet,you actually fold it over and on to the fascia itself by about 4". This prevents intrusion if you have a backup with the freeze/thaw cycle.I would do this if I had new construction or a renovation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Not all houses are that efficient,lots of old ones out there. Wood does not need to breathe....I would azek anything I could.Forget the pre primed finger jointed shiznit.

Dripedge goes over the membrane as well as the gutter so there is virtually none exposed to the elements,
Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
#1 way to prevent ice-damns.....clean,unobstructed gutters and downspouts.Its that simple.

Plan on painting that Azek?Not as simple as you think.
I respectfully disagree with some of the above.

Would not put ice and water over and down the fascia. No need and it will break down. Capillary action will take water over dripedge into gutter.
Ice dams form when heat escapes through roof, melting snow which then runs down the heated roof until it gets to the overhang, where the wall ends and the soffit begins. And it begins to refreeze into a dam. All depends on pitch of roof, overhang, and heat loss. I use a roof rake to remove snow from my own roof and still get an occasional dam. And yes, it is properly vented with soffit vents and a ridge vent.
It is New England. Maintenance, upkeep, and paying attention. Many building practices applied to existing home can go a long way towards prevention. I just dont think this use of the ice and water is one of them.
And yes. You will want to paint the trimboard, Azek or not, at some point.
The cables work best with a nearby outdoor outlet that can be turned on with an inside switch. Try to install cables when roof shingles are warm and pliable. Frozen shingles are brittle and prone to break, creating a whole 'nother problem.....
Just my experiences over the years in the trades.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote