View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #142
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Or maybe just like the cost of everything over time, it becomes ineffective to enforce laws for minor transgressions that cost $5K to prosecute for a $500 crime.
But those are very important and the IRS enforcing tax fraud that’s millions isn’t worth it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I don't think it's so much that enforcing laws for minor transgression becomes ineffective, it's more a budget allocation thing. Which causes resentment in the community because government is deemed to cater to what and where it is more profitable. In that scenario, poorer sections are plagued more by "minor" transgressions because in the areas where the source of government funding is located, it is more financially rewarding to be more scrupulous about prosecuting ticky-tack crimes.

In my opinion, tending to the "minor" crimes as well as the major ones, can curb the growth of the bigger crimes. Letting the little ones go can be like letting a little cancer grow.

Comparing the IRS to local law enforcement is unfair. The federal government, in effect, has fairly unlimited funding. But it, too, no matter how much it tries to convince us differently, depends on the places that produce wealth. It can pretend to look after poor folks by passing nice sounding legislation and spreading sops into poor communities, or throwing big sums of money there which mostly goes to administration than to the people.