Thread: Sleep Apnea
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
maddog2020

Exclamation USE the CPAP - it is for your loved ones!!

Lots of time w/ the surgery, the tissue they remove WILL grow back! They won't tell you that though.

Some folks can loose weight and the problem goes away. In my case when I use to go to these quarterly CPAP meetings at Morse Hospital in Natick, people there would glare at me. I was "skinny" compared to these people there! I carry some extra weight, but am not fat by most people's standards. One guy who spoke told us how he started exercising and his apnea went away! When I was young and very fit, I had the problem of snoring very loudly when on my back. When I got married 21 yrs ago, my wife was the one who told me I wouldn't take a breath for a very long time, cough/choke and start snoring again. I spoke to my doctor about it and have gone for two sleep studies since. I had over 180 episodes in under 7 hr period. When I went to meet w/ my assigned doctor she expected to see some 300+ person and me, LOL.

I used the CPAP for a few months and then it sat in the closet for a number of years and 4 years back, I decided to use it again. I have been using it 90% of the time since then. I did get a new machine which was MUCH quieter than my old one. Masks now are much better than they were before! I use an whole face mask because I open my mouth a lot of times and if I was using just a nose mask, the air would just hiss out and wake up my wife and so forth. :P

I don't use the humidifier because I find that my hoses & mask don't need to be cleaned out (they use to get nasty because stuff loves to grow in heated moist environment!). The dry mouth to me isn't a big deal and I don't even notice it now. My current mask is 2 yrs old along w/ the hose. It looks brand new. NEVER had to clean it - I need some new straps, but that is a regular wear item. YMMV

Bottom line is if you have sleep apnea and you don't take care of it, you will DIE much sooner than you should. I rather live long enough to be a burden to my daughter. LOL. If you are over weight and your BMI is over 30, guess what - you are putting a lot of strain on your body (circulatory system, joints and organs!) and you will DIE from it. I know people who just dropped dead before they were 40-45 yrs old. I had another buddy die at 37 because he neglected his diabetes!! It is not joke. Pills will not save you period. Look at a picture of your kids, wife, or whomever you feel is important to you: how will they feel when you are DEAD because you were STUPID.

Sorry, rant off. Stepping off my soap box now. Please use the CPAP and live to laugh about it.

Peace be with you, my fellow brothers & sisters.

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote