View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #48
SeaWolf

one of the best, proven "budget" reels for years is the old reliable 704/704z (705 for lefties). they are not the best for braid, but will work. you can find them used quite often on BSTs and ebay. i know i have a few used green 704s i'd flip. a 710 also works, but is starting to get too small. with the "Z-series" penns, you just needed to clean the drags often and the housing from time to time if you fished hard or dunked it. you will go thru dog and bail springs, but there are manual conversions around for the 704. other options are cabos, stardics, etc.

you will see used van staals around on BSTs too. they really are not too highly priced. i've seen 150s for $450 and once in a while a 200s for $500. if you dunk your reel and are sick of cleaning penns or other reels, van staals are hard to beat. they have manual maintenance options availble too. but, i don't mind spending $60/year to have mine serviced. i don't own a zee bass, but they are another alternative, but i don't see them used at a reasonable price too often. if you don't fish that often, i can see either of these as not a viable option. if you fish a lot, its something you really should consider.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote