View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Johnny D, despite your own individual observations, things are not as simple as they may seem to you. My experience with folks from different parts of the country has been mostly (not completely) from my time with the USMC. Despite your observations, not everyone in middle America watches "Hee Haw" reruns while blowing into an empty whisky jug for music, and lusting after their sister Ellie Mae.

If I was going to stereotype those folks, I'd say they were very religious, very charitable, unbelievably friendly and warm compared to New Englanders, hard-working, responsible folk who want to live their lives and raise their kids without the feds telling them how to do it.

Johnny, since you seem to think (I may be wrong) that all of the sophisticated intellectuals live on the coasts...try this sometime. Look at a map of the US that shows the per-capita budget deficits of all 50 states. Tell me what kind of financial shape New England and California are in, compared to the Midwest and Southern states. Then ask yourself where the dummies are.

People in the heartland may not be comfortable talking about existentialism while drinking apple martinis, but they love their neighbors, love their kids, and they know you can't spend what you ain't got. They may not have enough book lernin' to earn the respect of liberal elitists, but they understand how things work in the real world.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-30-2010 at 01:17 PM..