View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 05:01 AM   #524
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
At some point we should look at whether Sweden's experiment ind heard immunity worked out
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
we should go back and look at a lot of what was said and speculated too

"Back in May, just after COVID-19 spiked across America, President Trump made a bold prediction about a coronavirus vaccine.

"We're looking to get it by the end of the year if we can, maybe before," Trump said May 14 in a White House Rose Garden event.

The next day, he wrote on Twitter: "Vaccine work is looking VERY promising, before end of year."

The mainstream media didn't like that prediction, not one little bit.

"But experts say that the development, testing and production of a vaccine for the public is still at least 12 to 18 months off, and that anything less would be a medical miracle," NBC News wrote May 15 in a "fact check."

NBC also sought comment from Dr. Stanley Plotkin, credited with inventing a rubella vaccine in 1964. "In the best of circumstances, we should have a vaccine — or let's say vaccines — between 12 and 18 months," Plotkin said.

Meanwhile, FactCheck.org investigated reports that Trump said in September a vaccine would be ready "by the end of the year."

Trump said in a Labor Day press conference. "What I said is 'by the end of the year.' But I think it could even be sooner than that. It could be during the month of October, actually. Could be before November."

"We looked through Trump's past comments on a vaccine, and did not find any cases in which he declared a vaccine would definitely be available by October or November," FactCheck.org wrote on Sept. 11 in a piece headlined, "Trump Exaggerates Progress."

"But he has suggested that the earlier time frame is even more likely. Experts and governmental officials disagree with that assessment."

Then there was CNN, which wrote a piece in August headlined, "Fact Check: Will there be a coronavirus vaccine by November?"

"Nothing is certain, and Trump's optimism might be crushed in the coming months," CNN wrote. "Some experts warn against throwing out specific dates and timelines. 'I think it's very dangerous at this point to give specific dates,' former Surgeon Gen. Dr. Vivek Murthy told CNN's Wolf Blitzer ..."

Slaoui said on CNN's "State of the Union." "On the 11th or the 12th of December, hopefully, the first people will be immunized across the United States, across all states."