View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
That's the problem with your Catholicism. Everyone else should feel obligated to share in it.

I have tremendous respect for your church. And for Christianity, and a good amount for Judaism, and for good atheists, but none, as everyone can guess from my posts, for Islam. And there are other religions, cults, and philosophies that I feel some kinship with.

But I don't want to be compelled by government, especially some distant central one, to share in inclinations that arise from the practice of those various beliefs or disciplines.

If you want to pay for the treatment of a kid born with leukemia, you're welcome to it. There are already charities that do it. You can contribute to them. You are FREE to do that. But if your sentiments are imposed on me, I am not free to do that or not to. I am impelled, coerced, forced to do what you want to do.

Since you claim to not have any kind of viable solution, perhaps, then, you don't believe in a free market, nor in the charity of a free people. Perhaps, your Catholicism requires a controlled market and a regulated people to "do the right thing."

Where is the "faith" in all that? Do you have faith in the good, or do you require good to be mandated by the opinion and force of men.
"If you want to pay for the treatment of a kid born with leukemia, you're welcome to it. "

The thing is, I can't do it on my on. But all of the healthy people, together, can. And in my opinion, should.

"There are already charities that do it. You can contribute to them. You are FREE to do that."

I do. But there aren't enough people contributing which is why families who deal with un-preventable ailments, suffer severe financial consequences for the rest of their lives. I don't like it.

"That's the problem with your Catholicism. Everyone else should feel obligated to share in it. "

Now you sound like someone at MSNBC. I have no interest in forcing people into my tent. In fact, I think we need to clean house and kick out phonies like Tim Kaine and Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden.

"But I don't want to be compelled by government, especially some distant central one, to share in inclinations that arise from the practice of those various beliefs or disciplines."

Well then I have bad news for you. The Constitution, which I think you like, was largely formed via the religiously-informed consciences of the founding fathers. It sounds like you are saying you are OK with constitutionally valid federal laws, as long as they weren't inspired by religious motivation. I don't particularly care what motivated the conscience of the person who supports a law, as much as I care about the content of the law.

And while your insurance company has made a lot of money on you individually, they haven't made much on the pool of people you are rated with. Premiums and losses must be submitted to your insurance department, and if profits are too rich, the state of Michigan will tell your carrier to lower their rates. Margins are pretty thin here.