View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
FishermanTim

Annoyed last night in Duxbury

I left work and headed down to Duxbury, with the hopes of catching a "pre-Earl" fish. I launched my kayak from the shore to the right of the Powderpoint Bridge and headed back towards the marsh side of the bridge. Since the winds were steady out of the S/SW I figured this area would keep me out of the chop that could develop on the bay.

Keep in mind that I had my PFD on, 3 flashlights, a signal horn and no desire to take ANY chances out in the bay.

I had one of Duxbury's whiniest (ooops, I meant finest) quad-patrol deputies tell me to get out of the water. He wouldn't say why and didn't ask me anything more than "What are you doing?" (Brilliant, huh?)
Now I could understand if we were ACTUALLY experiencing a hurricane, or a topical storm, or even a passing n'oreaster but where I was sitting was out of the wind, waves and ANY boat traffic!
(I was sitting in the area just to the left of the bridge, just in front of the point that juts out about 60-70 feet back from the bridge.)

I know from hearing others gripe about them that there are a couple of harbormaster "wanna-be's" that may be suffering from a Napolean-complex.
I figure, also from MY OWN EXPERIENCES, that if they expended even a fraction of their time and energy patrolling the bridge and beaches for REAL ILLEGAL activity, they might actually get something done.

You know, it doesn't instill a sense of confidence when they park at the end of the bridge and get occaisional "booty-calls" at night.
It's amazing the things you see when fishing on the bridge at night.

This is not an idictment of ALL the harbormaster staff, as I have met a few at the town pier and they are friendly and very professional.
It's usually the "summer help" that tends to rub people the wrong way.

Ok, gripe over. Now back to work and dreams of fishing next week!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote