View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I don't care who created it.

Knowing who created minimum wage gives you insight on who to blame for it. Understanding how minimum wage distorts a free market gives you insight into the purpose of those who created it.

My point is that there's a huge amount of working slaves out there.
Maybe you are one of them and don't realize it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Well, there's the word "slave" used to denote someone, and there's the same word used in a connotative or metaphorical way. Your usage here is the latter type. My post is using "slave" as the denotation of a specific human condition--for instance this definition found on the net: "a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them."

A denotative slave has no choice, is not consenting to how he is governed by his master. He is coerced, forced. Your connotative slave has a choice. He consents. And if the conditions under which he lives literally forces him to choose either being a slave or dying, then he is living under the condition of some tyranny, not under freedom.

If you would want to live as an agent rather than a slave, then you would want your choice of government to be limited, to not have the power of coercing you into either literal (denotative) or metaphorical (connotative) slavery. And if you would want your market, your economy, to be free and flexible enough to create enough abundance and choice to avoid either form of slavery, you would want a government that protected the freedom of the market to provide that, not a form of government that restricts the freedom of the market.

If you understand that Progressive government is about government control of all aspects of your economy and your life, under the belief (ruse in my opinion) that its experts know best and better what is good and proper for everyone, you might understand why it insists on a minimum wage. And this understanding may help you to see the similarity between slavery (denotative) and the welfare state.

My post tried to suggest that similarity, even pointing out the irony of the progressive notion that Blacks cannot escape the heritage of slavery without government erasing it for them, but, ironically, they are creating a new heritage of dependency by not allowing them and the rest of us to be our own agents in society. Benevolent government mastery of our lives under the pretense that government knows best what's good for us replaces those slave-masters who thought they knew what was best and good for their slaves. In effect, by law, by force of government, we become the legal property of that government and are forced to obey it--the denotative definition of slavery as quoted above.

I edited the post to try to make that clearer. Maybe was too long winded and incompetent in the first place.

Last edited by detbuch; 08-20-2017 at 08:58 AM..