View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #28
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well, that's a stretch.

The simple fact is that most Americans, if put in her position, would have done exactly the same thing.

Americans (the U.S. kind) are more prone to change conditions in their country to their benefit rather than illegally migrating to another country. This country was founded by that type of revolution. There have been many revolutions south of the border. Perhaps they should keep trying till they get it right so their citizens don't have to leave. I hear they have some places that are amenable to the poor, like Cuba or Venezuala--good health care, everyone has a job or is taken care of. Those would be good models for the downtrodden to follow rather than risking everything to illegally sneak into such an ungrateful, oppressive, and selfish place like the U.S. Even Canada would be better, no?

That doesn't mean it's right (legally speaking) mind you, but there are moral implications to be factored in.

Which moral implications and whose morality? A great deal of the moral implications that resulted in U.S. law, it is said, derived from Judeo/Christian morality. But that morality also includes much tough love. The god of that morality can be very harsh with those who steal and and break the law. That morality does not preach salvation by government, but by personal conduct and personal charity.

I've heard of a saying in South America that you "can't fault someone for trying to get by" and to some degree this is reflected in the US. Would you fault a parent for stealing to feel starving children?

I'm not sure it's really that easy to relate.

-spence
I've heard that "saying" in North America as well. But "getting by" is vague, and when referring to criminal getting by, there is the implication that, if you're caught, nice try but you'll pay the penalty. One of the changes that Americans made was to provide for starving children--traditionally, much of that was done (and still is) by charity, but we've even legislated for such provisions. So it is not necessary to steal to feed starving children.

Does Whitman's illegal ex-maid have children?