Thread: Bluegrass
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
One of my favorite albums, another is the Oh, Brother soundtrack.
I grew up in NE Kentucky, heard a hell of a lot of Bluegrass and took it for granted then. Didn't really appreciate the craftsmanship and dedication it takes to play like that. What can I say I was young and it was a rock and roll time of life.
One of the BEST bluegrass albums, IMHO - still have that in the rotation on a regular basis.

That album is a part of the soundtrack of my life (as scary as that may seem) -

Some good friends of mine formed an RI-based bluegrass band called Buck and Wing in the middle '70's - they were excellent, played a lot of selections from that album. They also did a bluegrass version of the Beatles 'Falling' which was great.

Wow, Sherman, I've stepped into the Wayback Machine...

Got 'em a summer gig at the old Royal Hotel on the Block and they played the National, too - big hit with the locals.

Come September when the season was over they all got back on the ferry for the mainland except one. He's never left the Island and Rocket is still there to this day, as far as I know. I'd give anything to hear him rip up the mandolin again -

When my bride and I got married on the knoll overlooking the beach at Castle Hill I wanted to have them as our wedding band - but they had long since taken off for parts unknown.

Last edited by Crafty Angler; 12-07-2008 at 07:24 AM..

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote