View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #58
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
that speech sucks just more lecturing from the lecturer-in-chief

Obama skips over important facts like Japan killed an estimated 14 million Chinese citizens in its invasion of China. And during the course of that invasion, its forces acted much like Hitler’s SS, conducting mass-scale rapes, grotesque human experimentation, and enslaving countless men, women, and children.

In the Battle of Okinawa just prior, in slightly less than three months of combat, more than 20,000 Americans died, over 70,000 Japanese troops lost their lives, and up to one-third of Japanese civilians perished. One battle was deadlier than the Hiroshima bombing.

I'd have to check the timeline to be sure but I'm pretty sure we were aware of the the Japanese atrocities, their ferocity and willingness to fight to the last man,woman, child going in....I don't believe we understood the depth of the atrocities of the Germans till we began liberating those camps near the time of surrender.

So the horrors of the Nazis were being uncovered leading up to and after surrender in May of 1945....we had the bloodiest battle of the Pacific in Okinawa ending in June 1945...and "WE DROPPED DEATH" August 6th 1945...and changed the world...presumably for the worse

"Seventy-one years ago, on a bright cloudless morning, death(from America) fell from the sky and the world was changed. A flash of light and a wall of fire destroyed a city and demonstrated that mankind(America) possessed the means to destroy itself.
Why do we come to this place, to Hiroshima? We come to ponder a terrible force (America) unleashed in a not-so-distant past. We come to mourn the dead (killed by America), including over 100,000 Japanese men, women and children, thousands of Koreans, a dozen Americans held prisoner.

Their souls speak to us. They ask us to look inward, to take stock of who we are and what we might become.

Yet in the image of a mushroom cloud that rose into these skies, we are most starkly reminded of (America's)humanity’s core contradiction. "

I wonder if Obama ever ponders what the world would look like if America had not intervened?

Obama skips over important facts.. was he giving a speech or a history lesson??

1 bomb =100,000 Japanese men, women and children, thousands of Koreans, a dozen Americans held prisoner.in an instant [/B]

80 day plus battle for the Island of Okinawa which some have described as the "typhoon of steel"

if you see theses as equal you dont understand how it changed the world and warfare for ever