Thread: Space force
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
I know this is redundant... But it isn't that simple. Depends on lots of other things, like your occupation. If you are a plumber in CT, average salary is 61000 a year and in New Hampshire it is 53000 a year. Your house costs more here, but in the end you have a house that is worth more. There are too many variables to have a valid conclusion based on one single variable. Based on your math skills, you already know that
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Of course the exact savings depends on many things. I did the research. Like many people, thanks to telecommuting, I can keep my same job at the same exact salary, and move to NH. I know what I paid in state income tax, I have a really good estimate what I paid in state sales tax, I can look at comparable houses to see what the change in property tax would be. I can, and did, also talk to people I know who moved from CT to NH, and every single one of them told me they saved more than expected, because they didn't know they'd also save on car tax, gas tax, electricity tax, etc.

There is some speculation involved. All of the math, and every speck of common sense, suggests that massive tax hikes are coming in CT, which will stifle real estate appreciation.

And the University of NH is currently $7,000 a year less for in state residents, than UCONN is. For my 3 kids, that's another 84k in my pocket. And that ignores that UCONN just announced tuition will increase 31% in the next 4 years.

I looked at way more than one variable,

I'm not wrong, no chance. I can't tell you exactly what I'd save in 20 years, but I know it would be more than 200k. In my pocket.