View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
Fish On

Send a message via Yahoo to Fish On
I agree with Sandman. I'm no expert on cut hooks, but I would always prefer a strong split ring. The chain is only as strong is it's weakest link. Buy the best line and change it often, same for leader material, invest in the best swivels and strongest hooks, etc. There is nothing more disappointing than loosing a big fish to failed equipment. I stopped using the non-through wired yozuri's for this reason. Rear hooks kept pulling out. Granted, one could argue that skilled fisherman should be able to land the fish with minimum stress on the gear. I guess I feel like I need every advantage I can get. When I lose a fish to anything but a spit hook I tend to be pretty hard on myself. I also won't hesitate to give myself a kick in the butt if I let him spit the hook. I remember being somewhat of a newbie in the boat at squibby one year and in my excitement in rough water I tightened the drag to move a fish that wouldn't budge. Lost the fish when the hook staightened. I learned a valuable lesson that day and won't make that decision again unless it's do or die like getting spooled or something. Great debate!
Fish On is offline   Reply With Quote