View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
On the news the other day it was said that it will cost approximately 13% per person of your yearly income for this universal health. That could be very expensive for a family of four depending on a persons income.
Put this way you're making it sound like this would be a "new" 13% tax which is misleading. Most importantly the plans discussed so far would be progressive in nature.

Here's the big problem.

Today we spend over 15% of our GDP on health care which is dramatically higher than any other nation on the planet. The US rankings for life expectancy, infant mortality, overall health care performance etc... are all pathetically low. We are also the only industrialized nation to not provide coverage to all citizens.

The one thing we do excel in is responsiveness, but this is coming at a frightening cost.

With current rates of spending, there's plenty of money in the "system" to provide good care.

I can't believe some of the numbers of people who like their present health insurance. I've got what should be decent coverage through BCBS and my out of pocket expenses have gone through the roof the past two years. Easily over a grand on basic stuff this year alone for the family, not to mention the countless hours spent yelling at the insurance company as they seem to magically find ways to deny nearly every other claim.

-spence