View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Just for Jim
Written by a "black" person

The unemployment rate among black Americans is at 6.8 percent, which means it's twice that of white people's. President Donald Trump is the reason why.

Don't try to argue this. Trump has been in office for 378 days now, long enough for him to be blamed for everything in America that isn't what it should be. Walmart announced Jan. 12 that it's closing 63 Sam's Club locations across the United States, which BusinessInsider.com says would impact about 11,000 jobs. That's Trump's fault, too.

Why wouldn't it be?

The Sam's Club announcement came the day after Carrier, the A.C. and furnace manufacturer, announced 215 more layoffs. The company had announced 340 layoffs in July 2017. Carrier's announcements were even more significant than Walmart's because Trump made a big to-do about saving employees' jobs at Carrier even before he was sworn into office.

"We all voted for him," 44-year-old Renee Elliott told NBC News. "We just thought he was going to protect our jobs. It sounded really good. And then, boom."

Coal workers also supported Trump because he made them believe that he was going to save their jobs. But the gain of 500 jobs in that industry made in 2017 are expected to be followed by the loss of 370 jobs this year at a mine owned by Mepco LLC. The mine near the border of Pennsylvania and West Virginia is being shut down, which the chairman of Greene County, Pa., county commissioners says is worse than a mere layoff. Shutting down a mine, Blair Zimmerman said, is "as bad as it gets."

Zimmerman, a former miner himself, said coal miners voted for Trump "because he said he'd bring back coal. It's not happening. There's not been any significant change in the industry since he's taken over."

We know it's appropriate to blame Trump for all of the problems in America because he gleefully takes credit for everything that he thinks is positive. Like that 6.8 percent black unemployment rate. He has boasted that the rate is as low as it is - if you consider it low - "because of my policies." So if his policies are responsible for black unemployment rate being the lowest on record, then those same policies are responsible for it being twice as high as white people's, am I right?

If you're going to take credit for Walmart boosting the starting pay for its hourly employees to $11 per hour, then you're going to take the blame for the same company shutting 63 Sam's Clubs, right?

The black unemployment rate was 12.7 percent the month President Barack Obama took office, and it was 7.8 percent the month he left, but in 2016, candidate Trump said, "We have an African-American president and what he's done for African-Americans is a shame."

As Trump sees it, he's done great things for black people, while Obama did nothing.

Black people say otherwise. In January 2017, the last month of Obama's second term, a Gallup poll showed that 92 percent of black people approved of him. According to a January 2018 Gallup poll, the percentage of black people who liked Trump was at 6.

Jarvis DeBerry is deputy opinions editor for NOLA.COM | The Times-Picayune.
"The unemployment rate among black Americans is at 6.8 percent, which means it's twice that of white people's. President Donald Trump is the reason why."

But Obama wasn't the reason why black unemployment was higher than white unemployment, from 2009-2016?

It's Trump's fault that young black men make babies and don't help raise them?

"Don't try to argue this"

I don't have to, it's absurd on its face.

"We know it's appropriate to blame Trump for all of the problems in America because he gleefully takes credit for everything that he thinks is positive."

I don't give him credit for everything good. I don't know anyone who does. I know lots of people, Pete included, who can't ever say anything good about him. That's the extremism I see, except for Sean Hannity I guess.