View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
EricL

The Summer of "My First Keepah Stripah"

Hey everyone, a long time lurker - first time poster.

I grew up in Attleboro, MA and have been seriously targeting stripers from the surf since 2005. I'm still young, but life's little challenges - like having kids - have gotten in the way from spending more time with wet lines.

This past summer I hit up what is now my favorite stretch of beach to fish from. It's not too far out on the Cape, and it's a north facing beach so the water you're in is Cape Cod Bay.

Coming into this year - I had never caught a single keeper. My time is mostly spent chunking, throwing swimbaits like Storm Wild Eyes and rarely plugging (most of which is done at the ditch).

I had caught a fair share of schoolies and random blues - but never a keeper. After having a couple small keepers in May and early June, the stage was set as I got much more serious about my time out on the water.

In late June though, on the mentioned stretch of beach, we were pulling lines in when I heard the drag scream on my primary rod which was about ten feet away.

After what felt like a lifetime of carefully adjusting the drag, I landed what is my "once in a lifetime" fish. I don't get to go out often, and time on a boat is next to impossible for me. This fish though - measuring 44" and weighing 38.1 pounds was a beast. After quickly realizing that I'd never have an opportunity to catch a fish like this one again from the tame surf I often fish, my buddy Jeff took a photo.

I'm a believer in the responsible handling of the fishery. I'm certainly not against taking stripers home when of legal size - but I prefer to practice catch and release. Having already joined On The Water's "Striper Cup" I learned of their "Catch & Release" photo contest.

In short, one of the entries in that contest will have their photo turned into an artist's rendering and print out as a prize.

If you've got a moment, I certainly wouldn't mind having you cast a vote for my entry as the polls look to close soon: http://www.onthewater.com/wp-content...4&order=chrono

Thanks for your time, and here's to talking it up elsewhere on Striper Talk!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eric_l_striper.jpg (9.3 KB, 51 views)
EricL is offline   Reply With Quote