View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #30
kenyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas View Post
The $15k was to put the D/C and In-house into 1 server with some larger backup systems.
firewall took some sort of hit and is toast.
They could not find their server (you read that right) for about 2 weeks. Someone finally tracked the wires back and found it in a closet.
$15K still sounds a bit high for one new server and the work to migrate two servers into one and to add a backup system. My guess would be around $10K (roughly 1-1.5 days of labor) with around $6-7K for the hardware (and the servers should be virtualized so future migrations are easy). If you get the chance, you should ask that IT company if there are any email purge policies in place...I'm still suspecting you have a lot of old email in people's mailboxes.

Do you guys have UPS's at all? If not, I'm really surprised. That should be part of any server setup and should include the firewall. Power outages/spikes will kill equipment; if not immediately, they damage the power convertors inside.

That server story reminds me of an AS/400 story...a company a while back had drywalled the room the AS/400 was in shut and no one knew where it was...they didn't notice is was missing for 5 years and dug it out only because they wanted to know where it was. Those systems are ridiculously priced and slow compared to PC's but they'll run forever without crashing or needing reboots
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote